The Passion of the Christ

Mel Gibson’s film, The Passion of the Christ, depicts Jesus’ last hours before he is ultimately crucified. The film presents graphic violence and brutality imposed on Jesus Christ. The explicit events unfold in a bold and daring manner, making it almost impossible for an audience not to address the cruelty. Even in the opening scene of the film, Jesus is depicted as fragile and desperate, possibly even on the verge of his own defeat. However, he remains resilient and seeks the aid and assurance of God. In the film’s portrayal of him, although Jesus embodies human qualities as he suffers throughout the events leading to his crucifixion, his portrayal also depicts him as the messiah. For instance, referring back to the initial scene of the film, as Jesus is being tempted by Satan, he constantly shuns Satan in favor of God. Similarly, as he is being crucified, Jesus cries out and forsakes God, believing that God has deserted him in his final hours. However, he retracts his statement, and begs for the forgiveness of those that have sinned and ordered his crucifixion. A prominent theme comes from his act here as the film constantly advocates forgiveness. Despite the horrific violence and brutality, the undertone of Jesus’ message shines throughout the film. Explaining his purpose, Jesus states, “You are My friends. There is no greater love than for a man to lay down his life for his friends. I cannot be with you much longer, My friends. You cannot go where I am going. My commandment to you after I am gone is this: Love one another. As I have loved you, so love one another.”

One Response to “The Passion of the Christ”

1.   David Richter Says:

I think that what Jesus says in flashback (minus the flashback about making the strangely tall table) consists of: “If the world hates you, remember that it has hated me first. If they persecute you, remember that they persecuted me first.” “You have heard it said ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy’ but I say to you ‘Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.” “I am the good shepherd. I lay down my life for my sheep. No one takes my life from me. I lay it down of my own accord.” “I cannot be with you any longer my friends. You cannot go where I am going. As I have loved you, love one another.” “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life.” I don’t get a lot about forgiveness here, where are you getting it?