The Last Temptation of Christ

In The Last Temptation of Christ, Jesus Christ is depicted as the prominent figure he is, but also a relatable character. He often seems conflicted about his identity as the son of God. For instance, he asks himself “What if I say the wrong thing? What if I say the right thing?”. This example strives to portray Jesus as a relatable character to anyone. Jesus wonders if his decisions and choices should be for the good of humanity, which leads him to wonder if his daily decisions and choices will possibly be monumental. Although ordinary men and women may not face quite the same dilemma, they are still faced with the factor of personal morality in their decisions. In essence, even the smallest decisions could eventually become fundamental.

The role of Jesus can also be thought of as one where he rises to the occasion to become the messiah. Although he often tries to convince others and even himself that he is a simple man, he recognizes that he is much more than an ordinary man He explains “Today and tomorrow I cast out demons and work cures. On the third day, I will be perfected.” In articulating the process he will be going through, Jesus recognizes the path to becoming the messiah.

Although Jesus is also tempted by the life of an ordinary man, he continuously follows the path he has been confined to by destiny. At last he begs to be the son that God wanted. Possibly best summed up in the following lines, Jesus states that “If I was a woodcutter, I’d cut. If I was a fire, I’d burn. But I’m a heart and I love. That’s the only thing I can do.”

2 Responses to “The Last Temptation of Christ”

1.   lroerden Says:

I liked your response to the film and I agree that Jesus’s portrayal is very relatable. Since we are able to hear the inner thoughts of Jesus and hear that he is unsure of himself it is easy to relate to that feeling. We have all had moments of uncertainity where we have doubted ourselves. I also like how you drew attention to Jesus’s realization that he has a specific mission in life which is to become the Messiah. He does not fall to the temptations of ordinary man, he stays strong on the path of his destiny and this is also a very relatable aspect of the film. We all come to realization and set expectations for ourselves and we can relate to how easy it can be to give into temptation.

2.   David Richter Says:

This is very good. You catch very well the paradox that Scorsese’s Jesus [via Kazantzakis of course] is not only both God and Man, but also both Everyman, in his doubts and searching for his destiny, and the Son of Man, in his special destiny as the sacrifice that will allow for the salvation of All.